TFS 2010?

Mar 13, 2013 at 9:58 PM
Hello,

Our organization is still using TFS 2010 with no plans to upgrade. I got around the read-only AppManifest.xml issue using a pre-build event and that worked, but the TFS 2010 build server makes WSP packages instead of ".app" packages for my SharePoint 2013 App projects.

Visual Studio 2012 and all required tooling (e.g. Office Developer Tools 2012 RTW) are installed on the build agent but it still creates ".wsp" packages instead of ".app" packages.

Is there any solution to this?

Thanks,
Nadeem
Developer
Mar 18, 2013 at 5:38 PM
Hi,

Which build workflow are you using for your SharePoint 2013 app projects?
The OfficeToolsAppTemplate.xaml is recommended to use for app build because it handles all the parameters for you.

If you're using your own build workflow:
First, you'll need to make sure to install all required components on your build agent (Document).
Second, for the app to create .app package, you'll need to set correct MSBuild parameters (you can look at the implementation in the OfficeToolsAppTemplate.xaml for detailed information):
  1. To create package in build:
    /p:IsPackaging=true
  2. To set the publish directory to the same drop output location:
    /p:PublishDir=<droplocation> (without this, your .app package is probably output to a different location which is not published in your drop folder)
  3. When your solution contains multiple app projects, sets the following parameter to produce app specific publish directories.
    /p:AppSpecificPublishOutputs=true
Let me know if you have more questions.

Thank you!
Yanchen
Mar 18, 2013 at 10:04 PM
Hi Yanchen,

I couldn't use OfficeToolsAppsTemplate.xaml -- it gave an error, possibly because I'm using TFS 2010 instead of TFS 2012 or because my build agent has both Visual Studio 2010 and 2012 installed.

Thanks for your help. I solved my problem by putting PublishDir in double quotes and adding 2 backslashes to the end as per http://stackoverflow.com/questions/3779701/msbuild-error-msb1008-only-one-project-can-be-specified . This was strange because my PublishDir value (a UNC path) didn't have any spaces in it.

For others that also can't use OfficeToolsAppsTemplate.xaml, I am getting around the read-only AppManifest.xml issue using a pre-build event on each app project. The pre-build event executes attrib -R AppManifest.xml /s in the project directory. That works.

Thanks,
Nadeem
Developer
Mar 19, 2013 at 6:18 PM
Hi Nadeem,

The AppManifest.xml read-only issue has been fixed in the Microsoft Office Developer Tools for Visual Studio 2012 RTW release, you can consider to upgrade to this latest version.

And yes, OfficeToolsAppsTemplate.xaml is designed for TFS 2012, it probably won't work for TFS 2010.

Thanks
Yanchen
Mar 19, 2013 at 6:22 PM

Thanks Yanchen. I have already upgraded to the RTW tools a while back, so I will try removing my workaround for th read-only AppManifest.xml.

Best,

Nadeem

Sent: Tuesday, March 19, 2013 12:18 PM
To: Nadeem Mitha
Subject: Re: TFS 2010? [officesharepointci:436534]

Hi Nadeem,

The AppManifest.xml read-only issue has been fixed in the Microsoft Office Developer Tools for Visual Studio 2012 RTW release, you can consider to upgrade to this latest version.

And yes, OfficeToolsAppsTemplate.xaml is designed for TFS 2012, it probably won't work for TFS 2010.

Thanks
Yanchen

This email, along with any attachments, may be considered confidential and/or proprietary. If you have received it in error, you are on notice of its status. Please notify me immediately by reply email and then delete this message from your system. Please do not copy it or use it for any purposes, or disclose its contents to any other person. Thank you for your cooperation.
Jul 4, 2013 at 9:23 AM
Hi there,
As for nmitha1, our organization is still using Microsoft TFS 2010 but we're attempting to deploy Microsoft Sharepoint 2013 solutions.

Is there any tutorial out there detailing the process of creating our own build workflow for this one ?

Thanks,
B.R.,
Jean.
Coordinator
Jul 8, 2013 at 5:03 PM
Hi Jean,

If you are working with SharePoint 2013 farm/sandboxed solutions with TFS 2010, this project should still work (although it was published for SharePoint 2010 solutions): https://sharepointci.codeplex.com/releases/view/75623.

Thanks,
Xiaoying
Jul 8, 2013 at 5:17 PM
Hi Jean,

I built SharePoint 2013 "apps" but I know it works for SP 2013 and SP 2010 farm or sandbox WSP solutions as well.

With TFS 2010 you cannot use the provided "xaml" file, but there are many guides on the Internet for setting this up. For Apps in particular, the trick is setting /p:PublishDir using double quotes and 2 backslashes at the end (this is the directory it places the ".app" files).

I should also point out that my build server had the full version of Visual Studio 2012 installed with the latest updates and the latest Office Developer Tools.

Hope this helps,
Nadeem